Sunday, August 2, 2009

Be Still...And Glue A Few Cracks


You know that it has been a long summer and time to start thinking about getting back into the routine of school when you have this.....




plus this....



equals this...



Uh Oh, not a good thing.


Let me start by saying, I was not having my finest parenting moment(s). My big boy and I had already been at sorts with each other earlier in the day when I felt he was being ungrateful for something I had done for him. He is too much like me and has a big problem with pride; and he had done a little self imposed time out in his room. Big Daddy kept telling me that I needed to talk to him and tell him he could come out of his room...well, I never sent him to his room in the first place, he left and went up there on his own devices. Why should I tell him to come out? Quite frankly I was enjoying that the family room TV was off for what seemed like the first time all summer and I could not hear iCarly or Wizards of Whatever.

He later came down as they were all going to our elementary school to work on baseball (little man has a try-out for a select team tomorrow). Some how big boy had a brain lapse and thought nothing of playing with a beach ball that was in the house. That is when I heard the crashing and tumbling of things...I have never quite seen that shade of green on my big boy...especially when he had to bring me the broken "momma bird". I was fuming and grateful that they were leaving for a while. I was in dire need of a self imposed time out.

I sat down after they were gone and went to work on momma bird, both of us "momma birds". I kept telling myself that this was a 3.99 trinket from Garden Ridge, why was I so mad? Good golly!! Do I want my babies to think of me later as a mom that always loses her cool?? Do I have to much pride to be the first one to speak and make up? Sister you are the adult here!!!

As I glued and put her back together, I thought we are all alot like this broken momma bird. We all have moments that we snap, someone throws a ball at us and knocks us off our rockers, or we're just not equipped, but we most of the time can easily be fixed with little or no damage done. I would rather bear the cracks, than my precious babies bear the cracks any day. Food for thought. Thank you Jesus for this learning moment! I am listening!

Momma bird is mended has returned to watching over her nest... Thank goodness there is a Big Daddy bird tending the nest with her.




3 comments:

  1. Amy...I can't tell you how much I relate to this. Great post. And by the way, you are a fantastic momma bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! Something we all need a reminder of now and then. Thank you for that perfect reminder. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love your post! Oldest bumped into one of my candle sticks today and it fell to the floor and broke. At that very moment as I was beginning to freak I heard "Oh Mama I am sooo very sorry". He knows how very much my "pretties" mean to me but I always want him to know he means sooo much more!!!! All evening he kept saying sorry but I kept telling him it was all okay that we can just glue it back together tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete