Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Open House

Last Thursday was Open House at our elementary school. Back in the day we called it "Texas Public School Week". Now the PC term is "Open House". We had a really good time seeing all the cool things in Zack's class and visiting with his teacher, Mrs. Showalter. ( She is just great!!). When we walked down the 2nd grade hallway it was lined with the "death of parents" projects. It was the 3D animal project where each student created their own original animal that combined 2 different animals and made a new one. They had to do research on their animals and write a report, and then for the finale, create a 3D version of the creature.
Zack's creation was a "Shog". Shark + Frog = Shog. I particularly like the toothpicks that he used for the teeth.
I know alot of mommas and poppas were really glad when this project was done. No matter how hard you try to get your kid to do the work, they just lose interest. I think I would rather get my tooth drilled without Novocaine than deal with this kind of school work. I am not sure how much they really gain by doing this sort of thing. I will say it sure made it fun to see all the parents (0ops!), I mean kids hard work!
This was another project that we got to see. The students were studying different "landforms". It was really interesting to see this piece of work, because the only "parent homework" for this project was the batch of "salt dough" we had to make for our student to bring and then they did all the rest of the work at school. "HALLELUJAH!!!
One of my favorite parts of the "classroom tour" was when we first arrived to Zack's class. We had these nifty name tags that our kids had made that "looked" like us. Then we got to "wear" them the rest of the tour. I have never laughed so hard and been so thankful that my son didn't throw me under the bus like some of the kids did. One mom had a bikini on ( thank goodness that wasn't me!), another had some semblance of a martini or wine glass in her hand and one of my friend's boys had drawn her hair brown, when she is a blond! Mere was like "I think I must need to get my roots done!". OMG!! This must be how our kids see us!!! Then we all walked around with our "badges of honor or HORROR" on for the rest of the night. It was funny to see how the kids had made everyone. We live in a small and very close community and almost everyone knows one another. I still laugh thinking about it!! Oh my sides hurt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment